"The Competition" Script

You have to start off somewhere, right? Before you begin a script, you have to understand how scriptwriting works. Way before I began my actual scriptwriting process, I began by breaking down one of my favorite movies, Edward Scissorhands. The point of this activity is to get yourself familiarized with breaking down scenes and describing them. So, I watched Edward Scissorhands (it helps to own your favorite movie on DVD that way it's easier to watch whenever you need to reference it)  and broke down the scenes one by one, and explained the positives and negatives of each scene with a quick sentence or two describing what happened in the scene. I'll give an example. 

SPOILER ALERT! 
If you haven't already seen Edward Scissorhands, I highly suggest clicking off this page and not scrolling down. In the photo below, which happens to be a screen grab of my index cards on cram where I break down each scene of the movie, describe it and mention what type of scene it is. In the Opening Image of Edward Scissorhands, we see both an interior and exterior shot at night. As the movie begins we are inside Kim's granddaughter's bedroom, where we see an older Kim telling her granddaughter a bed time story about Edward Scissorhands. That is a quick description of what is going on in the scene, whether it's interior or exterior and the location.On the bottom of that card I put whether the scene was a postive or negative. In this case, the scene happens to be a positive because Kim's granddaughter is getting ready for bed when she asks her to tell her a bed time story.  On the back of the index card I put what part of the movie it is. By breaking down the scenes like this it helps you understand more of the development. 

Here are the rest of my index cards about Edward Scissorhands. 





The photo below is a screen grab of my actual script. I won't give to much away, but I'll tell you a little about it. What happens when Charlotte gets an opportunity of a life time and has to decide between two choices? Will she choose the right one? Read "The Competition" to find out! You can also read "The Competition" here.



Comments

Popular Posts